Monday, June 7, 2010

Val's Pear and Couscous Spinach Salad

More spinach recipes! Of course, I have to have a salad recipe. This is one that came from Val M. I will post the recipe just the way I got it from her, but I will add my comments and variations to it in a different color.

Note: I suggest that you toast your almonds and cook your couscous earlier in the day. This way your couscous can cool off some and you can just toss it all together quickly come supper time.

Salad:
*Chopped spinach (you can stem the leaves, stack several together, and cut with a knife or kitchen shears)
* 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (I always use more bacon than this. I pretty much just cook up a pound, pull out about about half to give the kids separate, and then chop up the rest for the salad)
* green onions, chopped
* slivered, toasted almonds
* 2-3 Bartlet pears, thinly sliced (I always use a can of pears, drained and sliced)
* couscous (add 1 cup couscous to 1.5 cup boiling water. Turn off burner, let sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with fork) This makes a very generous amount of couscous - might not want quite this much.


Dressing:
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry (I never use this, I just never seem to have it. I am sure that it is better with it, but it is fine without as well.)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix and pour over salad just before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment