Monday, June 7, 2010

Spinach-Walnut-Citrus Salad


This is a very simple spinach salad that is originally from the book: You On A Diet by Michael Roizen, M.D. and Mehmet Oz, M.D. (I can't figure out how to underline in my posting format!)

Dressing:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon honey (I admit, I always add more, probably like a tablespoon)
dash of cayenne pepper (don't leave this out, this gives it the extra something that it needs but it is not really spicy)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine dressing ingredients and mix well.

Salad:
1 large bunch spinach, washed and trimmed
1/4 cup walnut halves, raw or pan-roasted
1/2 orange, segmented
1/2 grapefruit, segmented
2 green onion, chopped

Toss spinach with dressing and walnuts. Add citrus and green onions on top.

I usually use a whole orange and a whole grapefruit because we like it really citrusy. I have also used a can of mandarin oranges drained if I have no fresh citrus available. I do think that the green onions are a pretty important part of the overall flavor.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment