A few more reads from this summer and fall:
A Dog Called Kitty, by Bill Wallace: A children's book. Very sad (in the spirit of Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows) but very sweet.
The Five Love Languages of Children, by Gary Chapman & Ross Campbell, M.D.: Very useful in determining the best way to express our love to our individual children. While we may love them, they may not feel loved if we are not expressing our love in ways that are meaningful to them. Also deals with issues of respect, anger, unconditional love, discipline, etc. I still am discerning, but I think that boy #2's main love language is physical touch and boy #1 is either words of affirmation or quality time.
Teenage Boys! Surviving and Enjoying these Extraordinary Years, by Bill Beausay: While this probably will not be my "go to" book on parenting, there were some wise nuggets in here. One of the main ideas that I took away is that our attitude towards our teenagers will be self-fulfilling. If we think that teenagers are nothing but trouble then they will be. Our hidden beliefs subvert us. But our hidden beliefs can also work for us. If I believe that teenagers are fun and vibrant people, worthy of my respect, and trying to successfully navigate through storms to reach adulthood, then I will treat my teen in a way that makes our relationship enjoyable (but not easy).
Romancing Your Child's Heart, by Monte Swan: I enjoyed this book, but I have to warn you that it is very possible to read this book and feel guilty as a parent for not doing all the cool stuff that he has done with his kids. The main idea is that we may give our kids the right training, the correct theology, lots of knowledge, but we may lose them both personally and spiritually because we fail to romance their heart and woo them towards us and ultimately a relationship with God. One issue that this book brought up that I am trying to deal with: how encourage my child to find those things that spark his interest and the things that he is good at. I need to be my child's advocate and champion not only to others, but also to himself.
No comments:
Post a Comment