Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Recent reads

My two most recent reads that I have completed. Both books were for my reading group, which I was very faithful to for a couple of years, then I took time off when we got into the depressing novels of the 20th century. I prolonged my time off when I decided to take some college classes last year because, frankly, I could hardly get my Bible study and my required Anatomy and Physiology reading done, much less any other book. But finally I am trying to get back into it. The last three books for the reading group have been read by me, but unfortunatley I have been unable to actually make it to the meetings for a variety of reasons. Anyway, here they are. I hope to eventually post my past reads here too.

Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson by Mrs. Mary Rowlandson - very short but thought provoking. Definitely does not fit the "politically correct" view of American Indians and early settlers. Somehow I think the truth probably lies somewhere between the view that she portrays and the revisionist history view prevalent today. Since we are all part of the human race, including our desperately wicked hearts, I am sure that there is plenty of blame on both sides of the equation.

How Then Should We Live by Francis Schaffer - Loved, loved, LOVED this book! Not an easy read but SO insightful! I think I am going to have to buy it to have in my library. I bit scary though when you see the direction that we are logically headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment