There is a joy in the journey. There's a light we can love on the way. There is a wonder and wildness to life, and freedom for those who obey. - M. Card
Thursday, October 1, 2009
The First Frost - Oct. 1
Well last night was the first frost and it is always a hard decision at this time of year whether to cover all the garden plants or to just let them be done. We (meaning my husband) covered all of them, as I would still like to reap a few more of all those tomatoes that are on the vines. Also our sweet potatoes are only about the size of my finger and nowhere near big enough. I am not sure if squeezing one more week out of them will make a difference or not. I suspect that the problem may be that the soil we had them planted in was too clay and not well enough drainage. However it could be that the season was just too short. Our sweet potato slips were delayed in getting to us and we had to plant them several weeks later than I would have liked. I need to remember next year to write down the date that we plant them so that I can keep track of when to pull them out. They take around 115 days, so it is really pushing the boundaries of our planting cycle around here. Even if we don't get any good sweet potatoes this year I would be willing to try them again next year. The foilage was really quite lovely and I think with better soil we could get a nice yield. Mmm... now I am craving broccoli and sweet potatoe stir fry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment